How to FIX Slow Laptop | How to Fix Slow Running Laptop FAST
How do I know why my PC is slow?
Are your programs struggling to start and web pages take a long time to display? Your hard drive is probably overloaded: over time, updates, installation of new software, downloads, and your internet browsing accumulate thousands of temporary or obsolete files which slow it down considerably.
Also Read: How I Made Millions By Just Liking Facebook Page?
Cleaning your computer regularly has many advantages: in addition to boosting its performance, it frees up space on your hard drive and allows you to get rid of spyware and other viruses. It’s time to clean up because a well-maintained computer is a better-performing computer! Indeed, if the disk space is not sufficient anymore, it is possible to clean it by removing a certain number of unused files, even undesirable to its good functioning.
Here are a few simple steps to give it a facelift.
Identify the cause of the slowdown
If your PC suddenly slows down, do:
- Ctrl + Alt + Del
- Task Manager
- Process tab
- Click on the title of the column “Processor” or “memory tool”
- Close heavy-hungry apps or, as a last resort, delete them.
In addition, Windows has a built-in cleaning tool:
- Press Windows + R then type cleanmgr.
- Choose the drive to clean then OK.
- Check what you want to delete.
- Click on “other options” then “clean up system restore”.
- Finish by clicking on OK and confirm the actions to be carried out.
Here’s how to fix slow laptop FAST?
1. Clean up your hard drive
This is the first thing to do when you want immediate results.
To boost your PC, as seen above, there is the “disk cleaning” tool in Windows.
2. Defragment your hard drive
Like cleaning, defragmenting the hard drive is a very simple operation that optimizes the organization of your stored information, which will allow your computer to access its data faster.
Defragmentation is the consolidation of files scattered around your hard drive. Here’s the procedure to follow :
- Click on “start”.
- All the programs.
- System tools.
- Disk defragmentation.
After scanning the disk, click on “defragment now”. this process often takes a little time: from a few minutes to a few hours.
3. Eliminate duplicates, temporary files, and unnecessary folders
This is an essential step in making your computer faster. To do this, use “Disk Cleanup”, the utility preinstalled on all Windows. It tells you which files to delete and how much space it saves you on your hard drive.
As their name does not indicate, temporary files are stored by your operating system. It is important to uninstall and/or remove this software or files:
- Open the Add / Remove Program panel by doing Windows + R then% WINDIR% \ System32 \ Control.exe Appwiz.cpl.
- Select the program to remove then click on “uninstall”.
4. Uninstall unnecessary programs on the startup
If your computer is slow on startup, it’s probably because it is opening too many programs simultaneously on startup. You can choose the software list yourself. Here is how to do it:
- Windows + R.
- Type Msconfig.
- Choose the “startup” tab and uncheck unnecessary programs at the startup.
- Keep all <7li> protection software checked.
Continue in the same vein by uninstalling unnecessary programs:
- Applications and Features.
- Go through the list of programs and uninstall the ones you don’t use.
5. Clean your web browser
When you use the internet, your browser keeps all the web pages you have visited and many cookies in a temporary folder. Deleting history is not enough to make them all disappear. This is how to do it:
For Internet Explorer:
- Click on “Tools” in the menu bar.
- Internet options.
- General then click on “Delete files in section Temporary Internet files” <7li>.
- Click on “Edit” in the menu bar.
- Select “Preferences”.
- “Advanced” menu.
- Click on “Cache”.
- To delete temporary files, click on “Clear cache”.
For Google Chrome:
- Click on the adjustable wrench to the right of the search bar.
- Click on “Tools”.
- ” Clear browsing data “.
- In the dialog window that appears, select the types of temporary files and set the duration you want to erase.
- Click on “Clear browsing data”.
6. Thoroughly clean your PC with CCleaner
Viruses, Malware, Spyware, Phishing…: How to get rid of malware?
Cleaning the data saved on a hard drive is good. But you must also protect your equipment from any external attack that could hinder the proper functioning of your PC.
If your PC is very slow, it may also have been infected with a virus. Despite installing free anti-virus software, malware still manages to get into your computer, whether spyware, malware, or phishing.
To fight against these viruses as quickly as possible, there is no other solution than to invest in good specialized software and to provide yourself with effective protection.
First of all, perform a full system scan with CCleaner to check for malware or viruses that may have infected your computer.
Then, launch the CCleaner program to optimize the performance of your computer. This manipulation will help you automatically get rid of files that take up space on your hard drive: temporary files, old browser cache files, unwanted cookies … it will even defragment the hard drive to free up space and make your computer faster.
Also, use the Boot Manager and Registry Cleaner tools integrated into CCleaner Cleanup to get rid of the trash which is usually invisible to you. Boot Manager shows you the programs and services that launch each time you start; turn off the ones you don’t need and the computer will start up much faster. Registry Cleaner will help you optimize your Windows operating system, thus avoiding errors that can freeze or crash your computer.
Now is the right time to start!
Thoroughly cleaning your computer might take you a few hours, but it’s worth the effort, it will perform much better. Do let us know in the comments that it helped you or not.